Happens to the Heart - Leonard Cohen (2019)

 



I was always working steady 
But I never called it art 
I got my shit together 
Meeting Christ and reading Marx 
It failed my little fire 
But it’s bright the dying spark 
Go tell the young messiah 
What happens to the heart 

There’s a mist of summer kisses 
Where I tried to double-park 
The rivalry was vicious 
The women were in charge 
It was nothing, it was business 
But it left an ugly mark 
I’ve come here to revisit 
What happens to the heart 

I was selling holy trinkets 
I was dressing kind of sharp 
Had a pussy in the kitchen 
And a panther in the yard 
In the prison of the gifted 
I was friendly with the guards 
So I never had to witness 
What happens to the heart
 
I should have seen it coming 
After all I knew the chart 
Just to look at her was trouble 
It was trouble from the start 
Sure we played a stunning couple 
But I never liked the part 
It ain't pretty, it ain't subtle 
What happens to the heart 

Now the angel’s got a fiddle 
The devil’s got a harp 
Every soul is like a minnow 
Every mind is like a shark 
I’ve broken every window 
But the house, the house is dark 
I care but very little 
What happens to the heart 

Then I studied with this beggar 
He was filthy, he was scarred 
By the claws of many women 
He had failed to disregard 
No fable here no lesson 
No singing meadowlark 
Just a filthy beggar guessing 
What happens to the heart 

I was always working steady 
But I never called it art 
It was just some old convention 
Like the horse before the cart 
I had no trouble betting 
On the flood, against the ark 
You see, I knew about the ending 
What happens to the heart

I was handy with a rifle 
My father’s .303
I fought for something final 
Not the right to disagree






No hay comentarios: